Thursday, April 18, 2024

Meet SCOPE's own Sophie Mitchell, an indie-rock artist from Iowa City creating dreamy tunes for your ears! In this interview, they talk about the genesis of their music, their favorite parts of performing live, and much more. Catch them opening for Caroline Rose, on April 23rd @ 7:30 for the Englert Theatre's Track Zero series. Get discounted student tickets here! We can't wait to see you there! 

Q and A with Sophie Mitchell - green and blue

What inspired you to start making music, and how would you describe your musical style?

I started writing poetry when I was 13 or 14 because I was an angsty lad with a lot of emotions. I was always involved in band and choir growing up, and taught myself to play piano and guitar. I’ve always been deeply moved and interested in lyrics, and had an ear for melody. I started writing cohesive songs when I was 16 or 17, but didn’t really share them until I was a freshman in college. That was when Nick Wilkins and I made our song, “Your Other One,” for a school project and decided to keep making songs. I’d describe the sound of my recorded music as indie rock or indie pop.

How do you like to approach songwriting, recording, and production? Are there any specific messages or emotions you aim to convey through your music? 

Because I like to write songs about my life experiences, I’ve found that my songwriting process is pretty sporadic, whenever inspiration hits me. I’ll get a melody stuck in my head, or some words. Then, I’ll figure out some chords on my guitar and write out lyrics. I have over 900 voice memos on my phone, most of which are me singing to myself, changing little things until it's “finalized”. Nick Wilkins and I worked together through the recording and production process of my upcoming album. He’s a total beast on Logic Pro, and I’m infinitely grateful for all the work he does. 

You've collaborated with local artist Nick Wilkins multiple times, including on my personal favorite, 'Purple & Red.' How has your environment in Iowa City influenced your music and creative process, and are there any other local artists you admire or would want to collaborate with?

I absolutely adore working with other folks on music. You can make songs so much faster, and they’ll add even more complexity/depth to the piece. I tend to get stuck in my head, overthink, and get insecure about songs. Working with Nick and other artists added so much energy to my weepy little songs. A few local acts that I think are especially cool are: 24ThankYou, Pest Heaven, Kling, Early Girl, Psyop, Bootcamp, Two Canes, Mars Hojilla, Single File, Good Morning Midnight,  and many many more. 

What's your secret to balancing the demands of school and other aspects of life with your music career?

I have no secret, if anyone knows the secret, kindly tell me! Balance has been a huge struggle for me, especially because I have a chronic illness and ADD. One semester last year, I had 3 part-time jobs, did school and live gigs regularly. I entered a vast and disgusting period of burnout where I barely wrote anything and turned down every show I was offered. I think if I had a secret, it would be to figure out what’s important to you, and hold it dear. I learned the hard way that burning yourself out is NOT CUTE and should be avoided if at all possible. If you have the means, you have to prioritize your health and wellbeing above all. I became interested in making music as a freshman in college, and maybe my GPA would be higher now if I never found that passion. But, pursuing music, even with the limited amount of time I’ve had to devote to it, has added so much joy and fulfillment to my life. 

What do you enjoy most about performing live?

I love playing a new song for the first time live. Watching something that was once just a small idea in your head come to life is such a proud feeling. It’s absolutely terrifying, and I’ve had to work on my stage fright a lot, but nothing can replace the feeling of performing your work to an audience of enthusiastic drunk people. Especially after the pandemic took out so many venues, and literally tore the whole entertainment industry down. Coming into that landscape as a young musician was very formative for me, and taught me what a privilege it is to get to create, and to get to perform. I’ll never take live music for granted, whether I’m onstage or in the audience. There’s such a huge difference between seeing that you have 500 monthly listeners on spotify versus being in a room sharing music with 500 people. It’s electric!!!! 

Are there any particular venues or events in Iowa City that hold a special place in your heart?

I really love the Public Space One mansion, I played there in December when it was decorated for “dada prom” which was super cool. Beyond that, I have great memories playing Rock the Chalk, the friday night concert series, the Englert’s local showcase, and the Iowa City night market. 

What has been the most memorable moment in your music career so far?

Probably my first performance upstairs at Gabe’s in 2022. I was so convinced that I couldn’t perform, that I’d get so nervous I’d spontaneously combust. But then that didn’t happen, and it was a great show! 

What's the best piece of advice you've received about being a musician, and what advice would you give to aspiring musicians who are just starting?

I feel very lucky that I was exposed to the attitudes of certain local musicians when I was. I struggled a lot with self-confidence, and feeling like I had to be perfect in order to perform/put any work out into the world. I’m so thankful for artists in Iowa City that reassured me that I’m good enough and showed me that creating music is just an everyday occurrence, and should never be a practice reserved for a select “talented” few. Literally anyone and everyone should make stuff, it’s great for your brain and great for building community with others. The advice I’d pass along to artists, specifically songwriters, who are just starting out is to never discount the value of whatever you bring to the table, whether it's technical skill, creativity, or simply your unique perspective. 

Finally, as you continue to create and perform, what do you hope your music will leave as a lasting impression on your audience?

I feel like I am very early in my career, but I hope people appreciate the thought and feeling I put into my songs. Especially some things on my upcoming record (!!!) that are much more stripped-back and ballad-y. I hope my music emphasizes big expressions of feeling!! Joy! Sadness! Anger! All of it!