Monday, February 19, 2024

Step into the Content Committee's very own Olivia's perfectly crafted playlist featuring dreamy and relaxed tracks to ease you into the week.

Name: Olivia Vald (she/her)
Hometown: Des Moines, Iowa
Year: Second Year
Field(s) of Study: Journalism and Mass Communications, Minor in Media Management, Certificate in Entrepreneurial Management 
SCOPE Position: Content Committee 

Olivia Scope Selects Grpahic, blue background, green lettering

Spotify Playlist 

SCOPE Selects: Olivia Vald on Spotify

The Deep Cuts

This playlist is a collection of all of my most favorite songs, featuring music from my childhood, songs that bring me comfort, tunes tied to happy memories, all intertwined with songs that will someday become the soundtrack to this current stage of my life.

My music taste is heavily influenced by the music I was exposed to growing up. Early memories of car rides with my dad, and listening to artists like Joni Mitchell, laid the foundation for my love of folk-infused music. Today, I have a deep love for strong lyricism: songs that tell a story and make you feel something, whether that comes in the form of indie, alternative, pop, or folk sounds. I think one of the best feelings in the world is finding music that makes you feel seen. There's a little bit of everything in this playlist. I hope that if you listen, you find something that meets you where you are.

Three Favorite Albums

In the End it Always Does- by The Japanese House

Midnights by Taylor Swift

Wasteland, Baby!  Hozier

Favorite Concert Experience 

This is such a hard question to answer!!! This might be cheating, but Hinterland Music Festival is truly always the best weekend of the year and I have so many good memories seeing some of my favorite artists there. The first year I went to Hinterland was in 2019, and since then I’ve been hooked. Some of my favorite artists I’ve seen at Hinterland include Leon Bridges, Khraungbin, Phoebe Bridgers, Mt.Joy, Muna, Faye Webster, Maggie Rogers, Bon Iver, Sylvan and Esso. But also… the Eras Tour changed my life. 

Hobbies / Interests / Fun Facts / Campus Involvement

Outside of SCOPE, I am a writer for the University of Iowa’s new editorial magazine, Zealous. I also work as the Director of Marketing for 35 Chambers, A production company whose focus is on promoting and uplifting independent filmmakers and musicians. In my free time I’m usually hanging out with friends, reading, spending excessive amounts of time on Pinterest, making playlists, or facetiming my pets (and family) back at home.