Monday, April 3, 2023

Get to know Clarence, our charismatic two-time winner of SCOPE's "Clarence" award. Tune into his playlist for a fun mix of R&B jams!

Name: Clarence Nguyen (he/him/his)

Hometown: Des Moines, IA

Year: Junior

Field(s) of Study: Psychology Major, Human Relations & Social Work Minor

SCOPE Position: Unapologetically, chronically, Gen Comm

Clarence Nguyen

Clarence's Playlist

The Deep Cuts 

Unlike what most of us SCOPE members claim to do, I myself do not listen to many genres of music and I really have no desire to do so. I am a pop and R&B girl at heart. Sending my love to any indie stans, get well soon XOXO. Because I wanted to make this playlist less generic, I decided to avoid adding most of my favorite pop songs and focused mainly on my favorite R&B ones. 

I would say the playlist is pretty stacked, we have some Teyana Taylor, Mariah, Jazmine, Brandy, Summer Walker, Kehlani. And then there’s some up and coming artists like FLO, Coco Jones, and Thuy. And the rest is just overall good music with some good beats and some great vocals. I’m not sure if I can attest to some of the lyricism of these songs, but things like that could never be that serious to me. 

Three Favorite Albums 

• Thank U, Next by Ariana Grande
  • Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande
  • Positions by Ariana Grande

Favorite Concert Experience 

I saw Kehlani before the school year started! Let’s just say, the mic was ON, the runs were running, the riffs were riffing, the choreo was choreoing, and the PERFORMER was PERFORMING. Lots of y'alls faves truly cannot relate…

Hobbies / Interests / Fun Facts / Campus Involvement 

I spend most of my time finding the worst underground low-budget wannabe pop stars on TikTok and dragging them with my friends. I also love getting into arguments with my friends on which one of our stans is better than the other. I am not involved in literally anything else on campus other than SCOPE (and sometimes even that is a stretch), but I do have a job at a community mental health agency.